The National Organization of Parents of Blind Children (NOPBC), a proud division of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB), is a membership organization of parents, educators, and friends of blind children.
Founded in 1983, the NOPBC is a national membership organization of parents and friends of blind children reaching out to each other to give vital support, encouragement, and information. We have over 3,000 members in all 50 states and divisions and parent contacts in about 30 states plus Puerto Rico.
As a division of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB), the largest and most influential organization of blind people in the world, the NOPBC is well informed about the societal, legislative, and technological issues that affect blind people. We enjoy the resources, support, and expertise of fifty thousand blind people who can serve as mentors and role models for us and our children. When we as parents join the NOPBC, our children belong to the Federation family.
The Purpose of the NOPBC is to:
- create a climate of opportunity for blind children in home and society.
- provide information and support to parents of blind children.
- facilitate the sharing of experience and concerns among parents of blind children.
- develop and expand resources available to parents and their children.
- help parents of blind children gain understanding and perspective through partnership and contact with blind adults.
- function as an integral part of the National Federation of the Blind in its ongoing effort to achieve equality and opportunity for all blind persons.
Please consider joining the movement. Learn more about membership.